One of my early clients taught me the benefits of direct mail testing, and since then I’ve incorporated testing in many on and offline marketing campaigns. I found that it takes the guesswork out of decision-making and fosters a foundation for innovation based on an improved understanding of client preferences and receptivity.
A/B testing is a simple random experiment with two variants, A and B, which are controlled and measured. Other names for this type of testing include randomized controlled experiments and split testing.
Whether you’re selling a product or service, or growing donations for an important cause, these steps will help you develop an experimental culture:
- Develop a team. Make sure to include your designer and project manager.
- Test small. If you’re spending a lot of time you’re doing it wrong. Testing should be easy to implement and measure.
- Evaluate the results. If the test fails don’t give up. The results maybe connected to something different from what you think.
- Implement learnings. Sometimes you’ll want to test iterations before you implement on a larger scale.
Examples of things to test in direct marketing:
- Segmentation and targeting
- Email timing and subject line
- Online settings and designs
Contact us for a no-obligation conversation about A/B testing for you.
ZOOM Cross-Media is an integrated marketing expert specializing in direct mailing services, direct email marketing, social media consulting, SMS text marketing, and website content management systems.
Small Business and Women-Based Enterprise certified.